Sweet Sensation: Deidre Pujols’ Coconut Pecan Cookies
Food is an integral part of any holiday season. It is a way for families to keep their heritage and traditions alive and to spend quality time together around the dining room table. In our home, baking is also a big part of the holiday meals. I highly recommend baking as a way to get the children involved in the preparation of the holiday meal by enlisting them to combine many of the ingredients under your supervision. They will take great pride in the result! This recipe for Coconut Pecan Cookies has been a family favorite. For extra holiday sweetness, consider adding your favorite jelly or jam to the cookies to the recipe below. Happy holidays!
½ cup sugar
1 cup shortening
2 ¼ cups flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 tablespoons coconut milk
½ cup chopped pecans
½ your favorite jam or jelly (optional)
¼ cup powdered sugar for dusting (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, combine sugar, shortening, flour, salt, vanilla, coconut milk and chopped pecans.
3. Knead until dough is formed.
4. Let the dough rest for five minutes.
5. Form cookies into one-inch balls and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
6. Bake cookies for 10 to 12 minutes, turning the pan when the cookies are halfway finished to ensure even browning.
Optional before baking
For a sweeter touch, use your thumb to press and form a well in the center of the cookies. Place a small amount of jam or jelly into the center. When finished baking, you can also lightly dust the cookies with powdered sugar.
For more great recipes, cookware and accessories to make wonderful memories in the kitchen, please visit pujolskitchen.com